Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Waiting Game

Well I've got the neck sanded up to 2000 grit just sitting here now while I wait for the headstock decal to come. I got one off a guy I've used before from eBay, the text will be in silver metallic ink on a waterslide decal which will then be clearcoated so it will never get damaged or wear off. The couple weeks in between the color coats and the clear going on is also plenty of (way more than necessary) time for the color to cure, so any potential mismatch in finish types between the color and clear shouldn't be a problem with that long in between. The key to using different types of finish over each other is usually time. It seems like most finish types will accept most others over top of it as long as it's had enough time to dry. I think I'm going to plan some nitro lacquer finish for my next project. It is easier to work with and there's no need to do as much intermediate sanding as there was with this one. I've actually acquired several other projects lately which I'll eventually have up here. I've been logging the details but don't want to go back and forth between posts, so I'll follow each project from beginning to end in order on these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment