Sunday, May 17, 2009

Priming

I spent a lot of time the past couple days prepping this body for a finish. This included a LOT of primer, sanding, spraying more primer, more sanding. The goal was to get the surfaces perfectly leveled out and the edges smoothed over so that the edges are rounded and as nice looking as possible. 2 cans of primer later I’m finally happy with how it’s looking, so it’s almost ready to be colored! I know what color I’m going to go with now, but I don’t have a finish type or brand picked out yet. I’m still weighing those options at the moment. The body looks good with the primer finished. Since I spent a good amount of time with the prep work, the color should go on fairly easily and should look great. The key is all in the amount of time you spend on prep work! The sealers and primers are where the leveling has to be done. Color won’t fill much at all, so if you don’t have the surface correct at the primer level, you’ll fight the color finish forever trying to get it right! I’m looking to avoid that, so extra care was taken to get it as close to perfect as I could in primer. I’m a perfectionist so this took quite some time!



No comments:

Post a Comment