Well the color coats are complete, as are the clear coats and final buffing. I am still a little torn about this paint type, but it actually came out pretty well. It took some work but it was worth it for the final luster of the finish. This part of the process drives me crazy because of being a perfectionist. I’m not sure I’d use this color again though; I’d rather get one that comes in regular nitro lacquer. However, it is done and it looks pretty good, so it is possible! After finishing the buffing and everything I also applied the copper shielding foil to the pickup cavities and the control cavities. This shielding is necessary to reduce interference that causes hum when the bass is near the amp or other devices. The body before the shielding job:




And after the shielding:


Looks beautiful! I changed my mind on the pickguard color. Instead of using white I’m going to go with black. I think it will look nicer overall with this color. The hardware will be chrome and the headstock will most likely be painted the same color as the body for a nice look. I finally have decided on a neck to use as well. It’s an SX neck but in different dimensions than they usually are. Slightly wider at the nut than a typical Jazz style neck, but it is slimmer front to back which should make it easier to play for someone with small hands. My favorite luthier also is doing the work on the fret ends to make sure they aren’t sharp. The fret leveling and nut installation will be up to me though, as will be the sanding, sealing, and finishing of the neck since it comes coated with nothing.
More will come soon once the pickguard gets here. I also ordered all the electronics to wire it up. I opted for higher quality components than the ones I have on hand. No sense in going cheap on those! Only the best will do.
No comments:
Post a Comment